Friday, February 12, 2010

is 2D dead?

Well that title should stir up some feelings I would guess :)
Sure I'm looking to catch your interest, but the question is valid. I don't believe 2D is dead or even that it actually can die, the 2D medium is to fantastic. But its future on the big screen is in my opinion not to bright.

Disney and Pixar pushed really hard for "for the princess and the frog" and the movie didn't do well at all.
I don't think the quality of the movie is to blame, I think the format they choose is old and not appealing to there target audience. I for one never even liked the musical parts in the old Disney movies, and needless to say is that I still don't like it :))
Disney and Pixar stated that it was time to bring back the old Disney, and this is somewhat strange due to the fact that Pixar never ever done a musical, and I think that is something that served them well :))
So is 2D dead, well you tell me. I know that Disney is working on a "Winnie the Phu! " but its a low-budget enterprise compared to "the princes and the frog". I'm sure we wont see a 2D feature from Disney in a very longtime.

what makes me sad is that I think if they would have aimed for something new and interesting, instead of digging in the archives, I think 2D would have had a chance to sparkle again.

who knows, I could be wrong, it has been known to happen :)))

cheers
/Tommie

3 comments:

Joel W. said...

Jag har inte hört så mycket fakta om hur bra eller dåligt det gick för prinsessan o grodan. Men jag skulle gissa på att de äldre barnen eller föräldrarna är dom som vill ha nytt, och därför inte tar med sina (yngre) barn på att se "gammalt" material. Jag menar, yngre barn idag har kanske inte sett alla de gamla klassikerna och jag VET att många barn faktiskt gillar sång. Kanske blev Prinsessan o Grodan något barns favoritfilm någonsin.
Men det är vad jag tror :)

blogbelly said...

jag vet inte..
shrek 2 drog in runt 100 miljoner forsta veckan och Frog filmen 24 miljoner, sa man kan nog saga att folket har sagt sitt:))

jag har tva barn, och jag kan lova dig att det ar inte jag som bestammer vart vi skall ga :))

/T

Johan said...

Hej, grattis till ett liv i paradiset ! ( LA )
Hoppas du har tid till ett kort svar på mina funderingar:

Hur ser framtiden ut för animeringsbranschen allmänt ? Finns det jobb för alla som utbildar sig ? (dom verkar vara många som vill in i branshen )
Skulle du rekomendera yrket ? (förutsatt att man har talang )
Mvh