Sunday, January 3, 2010

so whats cooking in animation

Well...

DreamWorks is aiming to put out three movies per year and all the movies is in stereoscopic 3D. Actually DreamWorks have said that all there movies in the future is going to be in stereoscopic 3D. At the same time Disney looks to its roots and puts out "the princess and the frog", I guess that is not going to be in stereoscopic 3D :).
Now why is Disney doing this? I mean besides wanting to make money. The marketing for this 2D flick has been massive, I have seen pretty much every big power-honchos at Disney on TV talking themselves warm over this "new" movie in "old style" animation. Well I cant figure it out. Will we see a re-birth of 2D animation? Will I have to dust of my pencils and start drawing again? hmm I don't think so, but I guess time will tell:))

BlueSky is working hard on there new movie "Rio", as far as I know that is set to be released in 2011 so I guess BlueSky is not aiming for the "more the merrier" concept. I do however like that meatball movie, although I think the character look to much alike, it gets to me after while.

Pixar is "hot on wheels" with there movie "UP". Everyone tells me that it's going to clean up at the Oscar. It might even, so I'm told, win the price for best movie overall. That would be great, its a great movie.

I saw "planet 51", from the Spanish animation studio "Iion", less than 3weeks ago. I must say that its a lot better than the reviews was. I totally like it, and so did my kids. I just wonder if this is an example of territorial dispute, I mean the Americans are more or less the top dogs of major blockbuster 3D animation movies, and given the state the economy maybe the American review writing dudes are looking at foreign animation with their patriotic American eyes, who knows, probably not....or? ::))

Sweden.....what about Sweden, you might ask if you are Swedish:). Well there are some things bubbling in that far of cold northern country....I have good friends snaking around, planing devious plans and if the planets line up when the moon is full, then just maybe we will see Sweden finally produce a 3D animation movie, I mean a full budget one, there has been attempts but without some serious budgeting you wont get a good movie.

So the Future? Well it looks bright, the 3D animation biz haven't yet had its first total flop and the movie entertainment biz overall is hitting an all time high in money making. So lets just hope everything works out for everybody :))

cheers
/Tommie

No comments: