Wednesday, February 18, 2009

3D in 3D movies??




Well I'm probably going to sound like an old grumpy animator now but I would like to at least start up a discussing about 3D in 3D movies. So what do I mean by that, well I'm talking about the 3D effect on the Movie itself, you know?
You need special glasses and stuff and then you can see the characters running towards you and you feel you need to duck under the seat, which, with all the old popcorns and other stuff lying around, is an sanitary risk I don't want have to take :-)

A couple of years ago I went to see "Open Season" in england in "Full 3D". It was all that the commercial promised, and more. The 3D effect was great, I was really impressed of how far the 3d technology had come. Afterwards me and my friends couldn't stop talking about how cool the 3D effect was. Then someone pointed out that he didn't remember what the movie was all about, well yes he exaggerated a bit but he had made a good point, the 3D effect was flawless but it was so good that I forgot to see(feel) the story in the movie.

Probably this is only a first reaction to a new media and I will get used to watching 3D3D movies in the future, cause I don't doubt that they will take over, they will. Not saying that I'm against 3D3D movies but I cant help to feel a bit worried that the story, at least for the first 25 films, will suffer...!!

Bitter old animator signing out :)
/Tommie

No comments: